Professional AdvancementThe impact of scholarship of service.
Penn State Promotion and Tenure guidelines explicitly recognize scholarship of service as part of faculty portfolios. The Administrative Guidelines state that all candidates for promotion and tenure shall be evaluated according to three general criteria which should be further defined and elaborated by each academic unit.
The three general criteria are:
- The scholarship of teaching and learning
- The scholarship of research and creative accomplishments
- Service and the scholarship of service to the University, society, and the profession
And that scholarship of service includes:
- Service to the University
- Service to Society
- Service to the discipline
For a detailed list of scholarship of service expectations, please see page 48 of the Administrative Guidelines for HR-23 Promotion and Tenure Procedures and Regulations. All of the defined engaged scholarship activities (found in Pedagogy) can fulfill some or all of these service requirements and expectations.