This experience was completed remotely from within my home. Our project is creating an architectural precedent guide that highlights the work of underrepresented architects, which we hope to provide to Penn State and other colleges around the country. We had the chance to interview a lot of minority architects and designers, acquiring work from them to include in our project.

As a minority student, it was very inspiring to talk with so many minority architects who have become accomplished and successful. The interviews that we conducted were an experience that I am extremely grateful for. Being able to ask different architects questions about design and the architectural profession was really special to me.

The project required a lot of visual editing and creating page layouts for our guide. During the past two semesters, I learned how to use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom for my architecture classes. Once I started this project, I began to use them a lot, picking up new software such as InDesign and Acrobat. I do not think I would have been as successful with my work if I did not have this prior knowledge to lean on.

The most important skill that I learned during this experience is definitely communication. At the beginning of this project, I couldn’t even imagine myself conducting interviews and reaching out to professionals in my field. It was quite a steep learning curve, but I am now much more comfortable in my ability to communicate in a professional environment.

Learn more about Joshua’s experience from his video!